This research was conducted in 2023 by the Canadian Municipal Barometer at the University of Calgary on behalf of FCM’s Canadian Women in Local Leadership (CanWILL) project.
The data reveals that in 2023, women represent 31% of all municipal elected representatives in Canada. The report produced on this study highlights the following points:
- progress to date for councillor and mayoral positions
- representation by province and by territory
- the need to obtain disaggregated data
- conditions for women to enter or remain in politics
- resources to foster parity and more diversity of municipal councils
The road ahead to achieve gender parity and meaningful participation of women in municipal governance is still long. CanWILL is proud to share resources that will help municipalities launch, continue and broaden the momentum of diverse representation within their councils.