Wind events: Climate adaptation studies funding
We provide grants for climate change studies to help municipalities identify ways to adapt to extreme wind events such as tornadoes, hail and windstorms or enhanced wind loads. These studies could reduce the vulnerability of new or existing municipal assets and infrastructure, such as buildings, roads, bridges or treatment plants, to climate change impacts or events. The overall goal is to enable municipalities to continue to deliver and maintain levels of service to residents in the face of a changing climate.
We fund two types of studies:
- Feasibility studies
- Operational studies
On this page, find information about the types of initiatives that are eligible for funding, requirements, who can apply, available funding, eligible and ineligible costs, deadlines, as well as the application forms and supporting documents.
A feasibility study assesses the technical and financial feasibility of a specific project to reduce the vulnerability of a community to climate change impacts or events. It uses a verifiable evaluation process that leads to a recommended course of action.
Examples of eligible feasibility studies
- Designing buildings and strengthening infrastructure to withstand extreme winds and climatic conditions.
- Retrofitting and improving the window protection and safety in buildings.
An operational study 1) assesses the actual or potential effectiveness of an operational change aimed at reducing vulnerability to climate change impacts or 2) enables research to support such a change.
Examples of eligible operational studies
- Identifying policy and management options to manage and recover from extreme wind events.
- Developing building code options to improve resistance to wind and or other climate risks.
Don't see your plan listed here? Contact us!
Do you have another type of project that could help your municipality adapt to climate change events and impacts? We will consider a range of projects and approaches that accomplish this goal. Contact an FCM advisor today to discuss your project and find out if it is eligible for funding.
Who can apply
- Municipal governments.
- Municipal partners working in partnership with a municipal government, which include:
- A First Nation that has a shared service agreement with a municipal government related to infrastructure, climate change mitigation or climate change adaptation.
- Regional, provincial or territorial organizations delivering municipal services.
- Not-for-profit organizations.
Note: Private sector entities are not eligible as municipal partners.
Only municipal governments can apply for operational studies.
- Grants of up to $175,000
- Funding for up to 80 per cent of eligible costs
Applications are accepted year-round.
Contact us before you apply
We encourage all applicants to contact an FCM advisor to ensure that your project is eligible for funding. Our advisors can work with you to prepare a successful application and answer questions regarding eligibility, funding or the application process.
- Email us
- Call us toll-free: 1-877-997-9926
- In the Ottawa-Gatineau region: 613-907-6208
How to apply
- Review eligible and ineligible costs
Learn about the eligible and ineligible costs that can be included in the budget of your application.
Note: Costs associated with preparing an application for this grant are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Review the project scorecard with evaluation criteria for self-assessment
We recommend that you download the project scorecard to review the evaluation criteria and refer to it as you fill out your application. This will help strengthen your responses to each question.
- Complete the budget and workplan template
Review and complete the budget and workplan template to include in your application. You will be directed to upload this Excel document as you complete the application form.
- Complete the application form
Download the application form for this grant: Climate change mitigation studies and climate change adaptation studies
Note: Quebec municipalities must follow this process to apply for funding from FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program.
Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
Application review timeline and approval process
Learn more about the application review process, including timelines for approvals and funding decisions.