FCM Announces 2014 International Awards of Excellence Recipients in Celebration of International Development Week (05/02/2014)
OTTAWA - The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) today announced the individual recipients of this year's International Awards of Excellence in celebration of International Development Week (IDW).
Every year, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities awards its International Awards of Excellence to Canadian municipal officials, either elected members or municipal employees, who have made an outstanding contribution to FCM's international programs. Through funding granted by Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD), FCM provides the opportunity for Canadian municipalities to engage with communities around the world to help build more resilient and inclusive communities. Each year, municipal experts from across Canada travel abroad to share their expertise with their counterparts in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. FCM also plays a supporting role in areas affected by large-scale natural disasters.
The following six Canadian municipal experts will receive a plaque recognizing their contribution to FCM's international programs:
- Margot Begin-Gillis, Truro, NS
- Shari Decter Hirst, Mayor, City of Brandon, MB
- Marina James, President and CEO, Economic Development Winnipeg, Winnipeg, MB
- Jeff McConnell, Mayor, Town of Virden, MB
- Stephen Pellarin, Executive Director, Small Business Centre, London, ON
- David Seabrook, Assistant Director, Growth and Community Planning, Fredericton Tourism & Culture, Fredericton, NB
International Development Week is an initiative of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada and is held annually during the first full week of February.
FCM international programs are undertaken with funding provided by the Government of Canada through Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.