Transportation and land use plans funding
We provide grants for transportation and land use plans that identify strategies to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
On this page, find information about the types of initiatives that are eligible for funding, who can apply, available funding, eligible and ineligible costs, deadlines, as well as the application form and supporting documents.
Eligible plans support municipal efforts to reduce and prevent GHG emissions associated with municipal fleets or with the movement of goods or people. These plans can also target changes in land use or the urban form.
Your plan should outline:
- A vision
- Actions for implementing the plan
- Analysis of alternatives, including the costs of different options where possible
Note: This plan may be combined with other types of Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program plans with the overall aim of reducing GHG emissions.
Examples of eligible plans
- Optimizing municipal fleets such as:
- Snow plows
- Police cars
- Waste collection vehicles
- Switching to less polluting fuels such as electricity or hydrogen
- Promoting active transportation
- Transportation demand management
- Encouraging the use of less polluting forms of transportation by improving options that reduce GHG emissions such as:
- Transit ridership growth strategies
- Developing new transit systems
- Creating plans that promote compact or mixed-use development around transit areas and increase public transit ridership
Don't see your plan listed here? Contact us!
Do you have another type of project with the potential to reduce GHG emissions in your community? We will consider a range of projects and approaches that accomplish this goal. Contact an FCM advisor today to discuss your project and find out if it is eligible for funding.
Who can apply
- Municipal governments.
- Municipal partners working in partnership with a municipal government, which include:
- First Nations that have a shared service agreement with a municipality related to infrastructure, climate change mitigation or climate change adaptation.
- Regional, provincial or territorial organizations delivering municipal services.
- Not-for-profit organizations.
Note: Private sector entities are not eligible as municipal partners.
- Grants of up to $175,000
- Funding for to 80 per cent of eligible costs
Applications are accepted year-round.
Contact us before you apply
We encourage all applicants to contact an FCM advisor to ensure that your project is eligible for funding. Our advisors can work with you to prepare a successful application and answer questions regarding eligibility, funding or the application process.
- Email us
- Call us toll-free: 1-877-997-9926
- In the Ottawa-Gatineau region: 613-907-6208
How to apply
- Review eligible and ineligible costs
Learn about the eligible and ineligible costs that can be included in the budget of your application.
Note: Costs associated with preparing an application for this grant are not eligible for reimbursement.
- Review the project scorecard with evaluation criteria for self-assessment
We recommend that you download the appropriate project scorecard for this grant and refer to them as you fill out your application. This will help strengthen your responses to each question.
- Complete the budget and workplan template
Review and complete the budget and workplan template to include in your application. You will be directed to upload this Excel document as you complete the application form.
- Complete the application form
Download the application form for this grant: Climate change mitigation plans and climate change adaptation plans.
Note: Quebec municipalities must follow this process to apply for funding from FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program.
Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
Application review timeline and approval process
Learn more about the application review process, including timelines for approvals and funding decisions.