Funding: Municipal Asset Management Program
Below you'll find information on the types of activities that are eligible and how to apply for funding.
Examples of eligible activities
MAMP supports activities ranging from collecting data and analyzing your asset management needs to developing policies and training staff to implement them. Eligible projects should increase your municipality's capabilities in at least one of the five competencies described in our Asset Management Readiness Scale. Read the application guide for full details.
Some examples of the types of activities funded by the program are:
- Asset management assessments
- Asset management plans, policies and strategies
- Data collection and reporting
- Training and organizational development
- Knowledge transfer
Who can apply
Funding is available to support:
- Canadian municipal governments
o Quebec applicants must first submit their application through Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Occupation du territoire (MAMOT). See details below.
- Municipal partners applying in association with a municipal government*
Note: Grants are available to first-time applicants only.
We provide funding for up to 80 per cent of total eligible project costs, to a maximum of $50,000.* Projects must be completed within 11 months from funding approval notice.
Deadline to apply
- Municipalities outside Quebec: Tuesday, October 23, 2018, midnight EDT
- Quebec municipalities: Monday, April 1, 2019, midnight EDT
Funding is subject to availability. Learn more about the new application submission deadlines.
- Watch this video to learn if your municipality is ready to apply.
Designed for municipal staff and elected officials who are responsible for asset management in their community, this video will help you decide if you are ready to apply for grants through FCM's Municipal Asset Management Program.
- Download and read our detailed application guide
The guide provides details about eligibility and the requirements for your application, as well as the complete steps to submit an application. Review it carefully to help you prepare a successful application.
- Download and complete a self-assessment using the Asset Management Readiness Scale
To be eligible for funding, projects should help your municipality become more proficient in at least one of the five asset management competencies described in this tool. The Readiness Scale will guide you in assessing your municipality's current asset management practices, and can serve as a structure for evaluating your progress as you develop a strong asset management program and approach.
To complete the application you will need to use this self-assessment tool to:
- Assess the current state of your municipality's asset management practices.
- Identify the activities that will help your municipality advance its asset management practices.
- Project the proposed outcomes and benefits of your activities.
You will need to select your municipality’s readiness levels and provide a description on why you assigned each level in the application form.
- Complete the workplan and budget template
Identify between one and three activities in your project and the major tasks and costs associated with completing each one. Outline other sources of funding in the document as well.
- Secure necessary resolutions and letters
Project applications must include a resolution from your council, band council or board of directors. Download a sample resolution.
All non-municipal applicants will be required to provide a letter from their partner municipality. Download a sample letter of support (if applicable).
- Complete the application form
When completing the application form, be sure to:
- Describe the project, its deliverables and projected outcomes.
- Provide information on the personnel involved, and explain how the project supports objectives within your province or territory.
- Outline anticipated challenges and how you plan to address them.
Review the system requirements and instructions for using FCM's application forms, including details on how to submit your application.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Occupation du territoire (MAMOT) that allows the ministry to review applications to MAMP before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities applying for funding from MAMP must follow the process below to submit their application to MAMOT.
Once you have completed all the steps in the How to apply section, submit your application by following the steps below.
Note that the content of the links is available in French only.
- Save your application form using the appropriate file name
Save the application form to your local device with the following filename: PGAM_ "your municipality's name"_ "date" (YYMMDD). For example: PGAM_TownofABC_180228.pdf
- Login to the Portail gouvernemental des affaires municipales et régionales using your username and password. Select the program, "MAMOT - Programme de gestion des actifs municipaux".
- Upload and submit the application form through the portal. Note this is an external site.
- Receive confirmation from MAMOT
MAMOT assesses the applications to ensure that the projects submitted do not conflict with Quebec's government policies and directives. Once the assessment has been completed, MAMOT informs the applicant of their decision and sends compliant applications to MAMP for review.
MAMOT requires up to 20 working days to review the application and forward it to MAMP.
- Receive approval from MAMP
MAMP will inform the applicant once they receive the application from MAMOT and review the submission. If the application is approved for funding, an agreement between FCM and the applicant is prepared.