Please apply by Sunday, January 28, 2018
|Salary band:||$85,000 to $109,400|
|Language:||Bilingualism is a strong asset|
|Duration:||1 year contract|
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) is the national voice of municipal government. Since 1901, FCM has been improving the quality of life in all communities by promoting strong, effective and accountable municipal government. At the international level, FCM assumes a leadership role representing Canadian interests by establishing links with municipal associations globally. FCM is also committed to protecting the environment through pollution prevention and sustainable community development. The Federation serves constituents in both official languages.
The Legal Counsel reports to the Senior Legal Counsel and contributes to the overall success of the organization by supporting its established operations as well as its expanding activities. The incumbent works with the Green Municipal Fund (GMF) operational teams to assist in the implementation of solutions in support of the organization's strategy while ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, identifying potential risks and legal issues and playing a critical role in developing processes as well as drafting contract templates, customizing FCM and third party agreements and supporting contract negotiations.
- Identifies and analyzes legal aspects of current and future corporate, organizational and customer service issues and provides appropriate recommendations to FCM staff regarding those issues.
- Advises senior management, in the development of external and internal positions, policies, procedures, operations and transactions related to GMF, manages legal risks within acceptable levels in an efficient and cost effective manner and ensures that GMF complies with its governing documents (i.e. GMF Funding agreement) and applicable legislation.
- Under the direction of the Senior Counsel and/or external counsel, manages the legal aspect of GMF contracts, including the negotiation, structuring, drafting, and amendments of contracts.
- Establishes and monitors all legal policies and procedures for GMF staff including agreement templates, guidelines and interpretation tools, to ensure continuous improvement and compliance with GMF funding agreement and applicable legislation.
- Participates as required in cross-functional team project work for FCM-wide initiatives.
- Preparation of contract templates in English and French for the GMF as well as other FCM activities.
- Other duties as required
Knowledge and Experience:
- Baccalaureate of Laws (LL.B.) or equivalent from a recognized and accredited university;
- License to practice law in Canada;
- 3-7 years of corporate/commercial experience from a major law firm or organization where the candidate obtained solid commercial law experience including excellent contract drafting, analytical, writing, and negotiation skills;
- Experience with commercial transactions, including structuring, drafting and negotiating loan agreements;
- Knowledge of the law as it applies to intellectual property ownership/licensing, and municipal law would be an asset;
- Knowledge of the law as it applies to not-for-profit organizations and service organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in drafting commercial agreements in English and French is a strong asset;
- Ability to quickly analyze and synthesize complex situations and creatively problem solve;
- Capable of building relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders including senior management, staff and other third parties (e.g. consultants, contractors, partners, etc.);
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment including dealing effectively with competing priorities.
- The ability to work fluently in French and in English (both written and spoken) is a strong asset.
The successful candidate will also exhibit the following competencies:
- Results Oriented: Committed to achieving results, demonstrating innovation and creativity in overcoming obstacles. Organizes time, work and resources to accomplish objectives in the most effective and efficient way.
- Client Focus: Making client satisfaction a priority and at the center of all decisions. Providing service excellence to internal and external clients.
- Teamwork: Contributing to the development of a team environment where team members ultimately achieve established goals.
- Ethics and Fairness: Treating everyone fairly and equitably and maintaining high ethical standards.
Please apply by Sunday, January 28, 2018