We fund retrofit capital projects that integrate leading-edge deep energy efficiency measures and onsite renewable energy generation for existing affordable housing units through a combination of loans and grants.
This funding supports measures to install or update physical infrastructure to improve existing buildings’ energy performance and maintain housing for the long-term.
To be eligible for funding, retrofits must achieve a 25% reduction in energy consumption. See application guide for more details.
Time to complete projects
Projects are typically expected to be completed within three years of FCM approval.
Funding is stackable with CMHC's Co-Investment Fund and other initiatives of the National Housing Strategy, as well as programs available through the provinces or territories.
We reserve the right to make changes to eligibility criteria and the types of projects funded through this offer.
- Download and review our application guide.
- Ensure you have all supporting documentation required, including a detailed project budget in place. Refer to the application guide for a complete list (Appendix B).
- Complete and submit the initial proposal form and project summary sheet.
- Receive eligibility confirmation and full application form from GMF within three weeks.
- Complete and submit the full application and project workbook.
FCM has an agreement with Quebec's Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Habitation (MAMH) that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM. Quebec municipalities and municipally-owned corporations interested in applying should contact GMF.
Municipally-owned corporations are not included in the agreement with MAMH. They must obtain authorization from the Quebec government to secure an agreement with FCM, in accordance with the Ministère du Conseil exécutif. Private non-profit organizations can submit to GMF directly.