Since 2001, FCM's Sustainable Communities Awards have celebrated the most innovative environmental initiatives in Canadian cities and communities of all sizes. We honour the sustainability projects that demonstrate environmental responsibility and excellence, and take an integrated approach to yielding social and economic benefits for their communities.
The winning projects leverage current and advanced technologies as well as best practices in the area of sustainability and can be replicated and scaled up across Canada to achieve national quality-of-life, sustainability and climate goals. The awards honour the most innovative sustainable initiatives in five categories:
- Natural Asset Management
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Affordable Housing Retrofit
- Community Buildings Retrofit
Applicants are encouraged to apply for the award category that best represents the primary goal or environmental benefit of the initiative. In addition, applicants will be asked to describe how their initiative achieves multiple outcomes, including social, economic, and secondary environmental benefits.
Call for applications now closed
Please note that applications are now closed. The deadline for submissions was March 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
GMF is a national sustainability leader—as an award winner, you’ll receive local and national recognition and promotion for your initiative.
- Recognition from your peers, community, and national media for your municipality’s accomplishments in sustainable development
- Opportunity to showcase and present your initiative at FCM’s Sustainable Communities Conference
- Individual coaching and support to help you develop a TED Talk-style presentation that will be recorded at the conference and shared
- Showcase your sustainability initiative as a scalable model other communities can learn from
- Receive a digital award badge to share on your website and social pages
FCM is offering to cover the cost of conference registration and certain travel-related costs for award winners who are travelling outside of their region (for an in-person event). This subsidy is awarded based on need. Contact us to see if you are eligible.