Funding application process for Quebec municipalities
This page explains the processes and requirements for Quebec municipalities that apply for funding from the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
In general, municipalities in Quebec must obtain authorization from the Government of Quebec before entering into an agreement with another government in Canada. This is based on the Act respecting the Ministère du Conseil exécutif (chapter M-30).
When applying for funding from FCM, Quebec municipalities must follow one of two specific processes, depending on the program or stream to which they are applying:
- FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program and Municipal Asset Management Program
- FCM's Green Municipal Fund
Application process for FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program and Municipal Asset Management Program
Quebec municipalities that apply to FCM's Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program and Municipal Asset Management Program follow the steps of the Government of Quebec's chapter M-30 process:
- Submit an application for funding to the FCM program.
- Once the project has been approved by FCM, send a request for an authorization order to the Ministère des affaires municipales et de l'Occupation du territoire (MAMOT).
- Send the following documents to MAMOT:
- the draft funding contract or agreement with FCM
- the resolution of your municipal council concerning the project
- plans and maps, if the project includes a land transaction
MAMOT will issue a decision approximately two months after receiving the application and information.
For questions regarding this process, please contact MAMOT (see contact information below).
Application process for FCM's Green Municipal Fund
FCM has a special agreement with MAMOT that allows the ministry to review applications to GMF before they are submitted to FCM, rather than having those applications go through the chapter M-30 process.
Quebec municipalities that apply for funding from GMF follow the process below. (Note that the content at the links is available in French only.)
- Register on the Portail gouvernemental des affaires municipales et régionales (PGAMR)
- Log into the PGAMR by entering your user name and password
- Submit your completed GMF application form in accordance with the instructions in the secure file transfer service guide
- Please note: In Step One of the submission process, you must choose the recipient, "MAMOT - Fonds municipal vert."
If MAMOT does not respond within a week, contact the ministry to confirm that it has received your application. MAMOT will forward your funding application to GMF once it has completed its review. MAMOT requires 15 working days to review the application and forward it to GMF.
Although this agreement currently does not apply to applications submitted under FCM's new Municipalities for Climate Innovation Program and Municipal Asset Management Program, FCM is working with MAMOT to develop a new process that will include all FCM funding programs.
For more information
Contact MAMOT for more information regarding the application processes for FCM funding for Quebec municipalities.
Ministère des Affaires municipales et de l'Occupation du territoire
Fonds municipal vert
10, rue Pierre-Olivier-Chauveau
Québec, QC G1R 4J3
Tel.: 418-691-2015, ext. 3407 or 3053
Contact an FCM Advisor for information about FCM's funding programs and eligibility.