Municipal Partners for Economic Development
- Our Success Stories series will introduce you to elected officials, local government employees, entrepreneurs and community leaders whose participation in MPED changed how they view their work and their community.
In this video (in language of origin), representatives from our partner association in Mali discuss MPED's accomplishments. Note: coverage begins at minute 28 of video.
Our partner, the Association of Cities of Vietnam, produced a video showcasing three demonstration projects on Local Economic Development Strategic planning in Ha Tinh, Soc Trang and Thai Nguyen. These projects were developped in collaboration with MPED's municipal experts.
Report: Promoting Equitable and Sustainable Local Economic Development
Our Promoting Equitable and Sustainable Local Economic Development report gives local governments practical strategies for incorporating themes of gender equality and environmental sustainability into local economic development projects, from initial planning to final evaluation.
Improving local governance around the world
The Municipal Partners for Economic Development (MPED) program seeks to improve local governance and economic policy development around the world while emphasizing the importance of gender equality and environmental sustainability. It currently operates in partnership with local government associations (LGAs) and selected municipal governments in Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Mali, Nicaragua, and Vietnam.
Under MPED, Canadian municipal experts help local governments set up demonstration projects to test new models of governance and service delivery that can advance local economic development. The resulting knowledge is then used to influence national policy development and replicate successful projects in other communities.
MPED is a five-year, $24.2-million program that ran until 2015. It is supported by an $18.4-million contribution from the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD) and in-kind contributions of $5.8 million from FCM and its partners. MPED involves partnerships between FCM and local governments and LGAs around the world, including:
- Federation of Municipal Associations of Bolivia
- Association of Municipalities of Burkina Faso
- National League of Communes/Sangkats of Cambodia
- Association of Municipalities of Mali
- Association of Municipalities of Nicaragua
- Association of Local Authorities of Tanzania
- Association of Cities of Vietnam