Municipal Cooperation Program
Thanks to funding provided by the Inter-american Development Bank (IDB), Haiti's Centre for Leadership and Excellence (Centre Haitien du Leadership et de l'Excellence) produced this video and a case study (in original language) on inter-municipal collaboration in the Palmes region. The video features the work of the Municipal Cooperation Program.
From reconstruction to development
The Federation of Canadian Municipalities, the Union des municipalités du Québec and the city of Montreal have been working together since 2011 to help strengthen Haiti's municipalities.
About the program
The Haiti-Canada Municipal Cooperation Program (MCP) was created in 2011 to help Haiti's municipalities plan and coordinate their reconstruction work following the January 2010 earthquake. Launched in 2014, the program's second phase aims to foster transparent and efficient municipal governments, as well as encourage cooperation between Haiti's national federations of local elected officials and the central government.
The MCP program is funded by Global Affairs Canada.
- Citizens: Encourage them to play a more active role in planning and decision-making within their communities
- Municipalities: Increase the transparency and efficiency of the current municipal tax collection process to improve municipal services and generate local funds for community development projects
- National federations of local elected officials: Provide support and training so that these federations speak on behalf of their members with a strong, united voice and defend the interests of municipalities and the role of local elected officials to Haiti's central government
- Ministry of the Interior and Territorial Communities: Support the Ministry in its decentralization work, namely by bringing stability to the public sector and collaborating with national federations
- City of Port-au-Prince
- The Municipalities of Gressier, Léogâne, Grand-Goâve and Petit-Goâve
- Fédération nationale des mairies d'Haïti (FENAMH), Fédération nationale des CASEC d'Haïti (FENACAH), Fédération nationale des ASEC d'Haïti (FENASEC)
- Local government division of the Ministry of the Interior and Territorial Communities (MICT)