Improving the lives of people around the world
Through our international programming, we work with municipal governments and agencies across the globe to strengthen local governance and democracy, foster economic development, and promote gender equality and environmental sustainability.
Supported by funding from Global Affairs Canada, we deliver more than $20 million in annual international development assistance through five main programs:
- Partnerships for Municipal Innovation (LED) —seeking to improve economic policy development in Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Nicaragua, and Vietnam
- Caribbean Local Economic Development (CARILED) —helping municipal governments throughout the Caribbean develop the services and policies needed to attract new business investments to their communities
- Partnership for Local Economic Development and Democratic Governance —working to promote economic growth, strengthen intergovernmental cooperation and advance gender equality in Ukraine's Lviv and Dnipropetrovsk oblasts
- Municipal Cooperation Program - Phase 2 (MCP2) —continuing to strengthen the institutional capacity of five local authorities in Haiti (City of Port-au-Prince and the communes of Gressier, Légâne, Grand-Goâve and Petit-Goâve), two national federations of elected officials (FENAMH and FENACAH), and the Ministry of the Interior and Territorial Communities (MICT)
- Sustainable and Inclusive Communities in Latin America (CISAL) —strengthening local governments working with the mining sector in Colombia and Peru.