Asset management and sustainability resources
Where to find information about funding, training, conferences and more across Canada
Our collection of links to resources makes it easy to learn about the field of infrastructure asset management and its role in helping municipalities become more resilient to a changing climate.
This curated list includes resources on sustainability and climate change adaptation and mitigation for Canadian cities and towns of all sizes, so you can better understand:
- What asset management is and the links between infrastructure management, sustainability and climate change.
- Where to find funding, events, training and more information to continue to build your skills and capacity in asset management.
New asset management funding and training programs coming in 2017
Stay tuned for information about our new programs, funded by the Government of Canada and administered by FCM, as announced in the 2016 federal budget. The programs will provide funding, training, knowledge resources and learning programs to support asset management and sustainability for local governments across Canada. Subscribe to our email list for announcements and details.
Understanding asset management
- Why Invest in Asset Management? (animated video) Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Asset Management Primer, Canadian Network of Asset Managers
- Asset Management for Sustainable Service Delivery: A BC Framework, Asset Management BC
- Asset Management: Getting Started Guide, Government of Saskatchewan
- Building Together: Guide for Municipal Asset Management Plans, Government of Ontario
- ISO 55000 Asset Management Standard
- Infrastructure Asset Management, Wikipedia
Linking asset management, environmental sustainability and climate change
- Leadership in Asset Management Program, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Community Lifecycle Infrastructure Costing (CLIC) Tool, BC Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
- BC Climate Action Toolkit
- Is it time for next generation asset management planning?
- Federal Gas Tax Fund: Permanent and predictable funding for municipalities, Infrastructure Canada
- Provincial and territorial governments may have funding available to help your local government build its capacity in asset management. Contact your provincial or territorial municipal association to find out what opportunities exist in your region.
- Canadian Infrastructure Report Card, Canadian Construction Association, Canadian Public Works Association, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Climate Change Adaptation and Canadian Infrastructure: A review of the literature, International Institute for Sustainable Development