FCM to attend UN climate change conference in Morocco (11/11/2016)
OTTAWA - The Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) will participate next week in the 22nd UN Conference of the Parties (COP22) in Marrakesh, Morocco, as part of the Canadian delegation. Senior FCM officials will champion the message that scaling up local innovation - from building retrofits to cutting-edge waste management - can be a centrepiece of national GHG-reduction and resiliency strategies.
Event: FCM participates in UN Climate Change Conference: COP 22
Date: November 13-18, 2016
Location: Marrakesh, Morocco
Who: FCM Big City Mayors' Caucus Chair Don Iveson (Edmonton Mayor) and
FCM CEO Brock Carlton.
• Tuesday: Mayor Iveson presents Edmonton's Smart City Strategy at the Smart Low Carbon and Sustainable Cities session, alongside local leaders from Japan and Malaysia.
• Tuesday: Mayor Iveson is a featured panelist at the kick-off event for the new Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy, which joins 7100 cities committed to local climate action.
• Tuesday: Mayor Iveson presents local examples of data-driven climate action at the Global Science-Policy Dialogue to Reach Paris Targets session.
• Wednesday: Mayor Iveson brings the municipal voice to The Canadian Climate Story, a high-level dialogue on Canadian climate action featuring representations from various jurisdictions.
• Thursday: Mayor Iveson represents the ICLEI Global President at a formal session of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change aimed at catalyzing deeper global climate ambition.
To arrange interviews, contact: Michael FitzPatrick, FCM Media Relations Advisor: 613-907-6346 or firstname.lastname@example.org