Community Energy Planning Mission to Alberta
July 28-August 3, 2007
The world's best is right here in our own backyard
Between July 28 and August 3, 2007, 36 elected and senior staff municipal officials, representing 26 municipal governments, travelled to Alberta to join FCM's 12th annual Community Energy Planning Mission. Delegates visited over 15 leading sustainable community development sites and projects, including a net-zero home, a LEED Gold police station, a street sand recycling yard, a manure-to-energy plant and a large-scale wind farm.
While all previous Missions visited European countries, the 2007 Mission marked the first time that delegates saw innovative projects right here in their own back yard. Councillor Andrew Younger of the Halifax Regional Municipality said, "Being able to see projects operating in the Canadian context was a big bonus."
- District energy warms up Alberta's suburbs
Find out how Strathcona County and Okotoks, Alberta, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and lowered their energy and maintenance costs through district heating systems.
- Benefiting from biogas: Alberta's other fuel source
Learn how the Olds College School of Innovation, the Alberta Research Council and the City of Edmonton are working to reduce emissions from biogas and investigating ways to benefit from its fuel potential.
- Innovation pushes Edmonton to the leading edge of waste management
Discover three innovative initiatives that have put Edmonton at the forefront of effective waste management.
Presentations and videos
- Carbon Dioxide Reduction Edmonton (CO2RE)
Brenda Osborne, Program Manager, Office of the Environment, City of Edmonton
- Riverdale NetZero Project
Gordon Howell, P.Eng., Core Design Team, Howell-Mayhew Engineering Inc.
- An Overview of Edmonton's Integrated Waste Management System (IWMS)
Roy Neehall, Manager, Waste Management, Asset Management and Public Works, City of Edmonton
- Edmonton's Gasification Project
Jim Schubert, Project Manager, Capital Projects, Waste Management, Asset Management and Public Works, City of Edmonton
- Integrated Community Sustainability Planning (ICSP) Toolkit
Jill Pelton, Policy Analyst, Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties
- Renewable Energy
Larry Peters, Sales & Marketing, React Energy
- Overview of Strathcona County
Mayor Cathy Olesen, Strathcona County
- Strathcona County Centre in the Park
- Strathcona County Emerald Hills
- Strathcona County Overview
- Centre in the Park
Gerry Gabinet, Manager, Economic Development & Tourism, Strathcona County
- The Community Energy System: A Flexible Energy Platform for Our Community
Jeff Hutton, Manager, Utilities, Strathcona County
- Sustainable Communities: A Municipality and a Developer's Perspective - Our Experiences Creating Emerald Hills Urban Village
Bard Golightly, Development Manager, Christensen Developments
- Alberta Research Council
Dr. Christian Felske, Research Scientist, Solid Waste Management, Alberta Research Council
- Integrated BioRefinery™ Project
Trevor Nickel, Technology Commercialization Manager, Highmark Renewables Inc.
- Street Sand Recycling
Phil Haug, Business Manager, Sand Recycling Ltd.; Bob Dunford, General Supervisor, Roadway Maintenance, City of Edmonton
- Municipal Sustainability Planning
Shelleen Lakusta, Senior Project Coordinator, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association
- Collaborating for a Sustainable Community
Judy Dahl, Mayor; Nina Gales, Manager of Corporate Affairs, Town of Olds
- Calgary Climate Change Action Plan Minus 50: From a Corporate to Community Approach
David L. Day, Director, Environmental & Safety Management, Utilities & Environmental Protection, City of Calgary; Chris Wade, Director Infrastructure Services, City of Calgary; Kevin Colbran, Landfill Engineer, Waste & Recycling Services, City of Calgary; Andy Dutton, Leader & Project Engineer, Water Resources, City of Calgary
- The Water Centre: A Sustainable Building in the Heart of Calgary
Ross E. Murray, C.E.T., Leader, Administrative Services, Water Resources, City of Calgary
- Taking Action on Climate Change in Alberta
Simon Knight, President and CEO, Climate Change Central
- Sustainable Okotoks
Rick Quail, Municipal Manager, Town of Okotoks
- Drake's Landing Solar Community, Okotoks, Alberta
- Drake Landing Solar Energy Building, Okotoks, Alberta