Workshop: Municipal Climate Change Action Training
In partnership with the Municipal Climate Change Action Centre
Friday, March 22, 2013 (Edmonton, AB)
From coast to coast to coast, local and regional governments are pursuing strategies to monitor and reduce community GHG emissions using the Partners for Climate Protection framework. These hands-on, full-day workshops provided training on various tools and mechanisms that can help local governments manage their energy use and the associated emissions.
Through presentations, demonstrations and discussions, participants learned about creating energy and emissions inventories, choosing an appropriate emissions reduction target, developing a local climate change action plan, and monitoring results. A mock community was used in a series of exercises to help participants work through the process of identifying projects and implementation strategies.
Facilitators shared success stories and leading examples from across the country, along with relevant tools, resources and supporting documents. Workshop content was customized for the host province, featuring local speakers and examples. It was one of six customized regional workshops held across the country.
- Bob Hawkesworth, Municipal Climate Change Action Centre, a partnership between AUMA, AAMDC, and the Government of Alberta
- Dave Sauchyn, University of Regina / Prairie Adaptation Research Collaborative
- Jonathan Connor, ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability
- Devin Causley, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Sarah Feldman, Strathcona County, AB
- Jim Andrais, City of Edmonton, AB