Eligibility and award categories
Next FCM Sustainable Communities Awards to be held in 2018
The call for award applications is now closed.
The FCM Sustainable Communities Awards program is on hiatus for 2017 while we explore ways to enhance our capacity-building activities, and align with the roll-out of our new national programs.
Subscribe to our GMF email list for updates on the awards program.
Eligiblity criteria and application details in development
We will announce updated eligibility criteria and application details for the next awards program in early 2017. Winners will be honoured at the next FCM Sustainable Communities Conference, set for February 2018, in Ottawa, ON.
Submissions for municipal plans, programs or projects must demonstrate excellence in one of six award categories: brownfields, energy, neighbourhood development, transportation, waste or water; and applicants must demonstrate significant municipal involvement in the initiatives.
- Take a holistic, systems approach to sustainable community development.
- Demonstrate innovation, defined as the development of new knowledge, practices or advanced technologies; the application of current or emerging technologies or practices; or the adoption of an advanced technology, knowledge or practice in a region in which the technology has not been applied before.
- Demonstrate leadership in public engagement/communication and partnership, as these are key to long-term success.
- Integrate with existing municipal plans and policies.
- Offer lessons learned that are relevant to other communities undertaking similar initiatives.
- Demonstrate measurable environmental, social and economic results, or in the case of plans, anticipated measurable results (see the Background Application Form for details).